Sniffing can be defined as the process of monitoring and capturing data packets by passing through a network. Sniffers are generally used for capturing sensitive data like password, account information and other related stuff.
Sniffers can be broadly categorised into two parts :
● ACTIVE SNIFFING – This method of sniffing is through a switched network. A switch device connects the two networks
● PASSIVE SNIFFING – This method of sniffing is through hubs, hubs uses MAC addresses to read the destination port of data.
Pros of Sniffing in Industries :
● Network Monitoring : It helps analyse application activities and network problems.
● Problem Identification : This helps identify problems and take precautions.
● Analyse traffic by type : It helps understand various traffic situations at different times.
● Solutions to Slow down: It also helps the system from any future slow down due prior to any issues.
Cons of Sniffing in Industries :
● Stealing of sensitive data: Important data may be stolen without knowledge.
● Untrusted network : Getting linked to unsecured network without knowledge
● Anonymous use of accounts: Use of credential accounts without notice.
● Access over the system: in some cases there is full access over the system by the hackers.